Thursday, September 2, 2010

Gretty Crocker learns some lessons

I was all swelled up and pleased with myself for cooking up some lovely pasta sauce and freezing it for the winter.  Until my plan to freeze it in glass jars backfired on me.  A friend, when trying to talk me through my distress of my love's labor lost, casually pointed out that glass and freezers are not usually close companions.  Straight away I remembered the coke bottle explosion from my youth.  Now, in truth, only one of my 8 jars exploded, and it wasn't that much of a mess because the sauce had already gotten real cold and solid.  But still, it was the largest jar and it hurt.  I was all for peeling the broken glass off of the frozen sauce and keeping it.  The sauce, not the glass.  But Jon convinced me that ingesting broken shards of glass might not be the best way to spend a quiet winter evening.  So I tossed it.  The other 7 jars remain untouched in the freezer.  I think that they have made it past the window when explosions are most likely, but time, I suppose, will tell. 

No comments: