Monday, September 20, 2010

New brother on the horizon

No, Jon and I are not having another child.  But I think we just committed to hosting a foriegn exchange student for the rest of this school year.  I'm not real sure how it happened.  A woman who ferrets out homes for students in the area got our name somehow (no hard feelings, Amy....yet) and called late last Friday.  There's a kid from Russia who needs a new placement because he has allergy issues to the pets in the current home.  They need to place him somewhere quickly.  Can we do it?  I don't know!  Jon and I have never parented a 16 year old.  But we better figure it out soon because he will be here by Saturday.  In the meantime we need to convert our office to a bedroom and find places to shoehorn all that stuff into other corners of the house.  I did warn the woman that we do have rabbits and they do cause reactions in some people.  She said his allergies were only to cats and dogs.  Oh, and birds.  I suggested that he go to his local petstore and hug a rabbit or two to see if anything happens.  I don't think she passed this piece of advice along to him- so his stay here might be shortlived.  Because I did promise my boys that if he does turn out to have an allergy to the rabbits, we will work to find him a new home and will not foster out the rabbits.  Unless they keep chewing up the bookshelves- in which case I might reconsider.  Because even though I know very little about the parenting of a 16 year old, something tells me it will not have to include trying to train him away from chewing on the wood furniture.  But we shall see.  And soon.

No comments: