Monday, September 20, 2010

Odd

Today I was down in the bowels of the Midway Y, in the over heated women's lockerroom, trying to change as quickly as possible from my work clothes to workout clothes so that I could squeeze in 30 minutes on a cardio machine before rushing off to release Granndma Sherry from the clutches of my children.  As I was sitting in the bathroom stall I could hear a woman on the phone that is attached to the wall next to the lockers.  It is not a dial phone- it is push buttons- but it is old fashioned and has an actual cord that connects the handset to the base.  Anyway- the conversation struck me as odd because she seemed to be doing some kind of travel agent type job.  She was asking for the spelling of someone's name and then talking about destinations.  I thought the women's lockerroom at the Y an odd place to be making some of your business calls, but I let it go.  Until I got out of the stall and saw that she was standing there at the phone, making her call, completely naked.  Except for her running shoes.  Now, it is warm in that lockerroom year round, but who ever finds themselves just in a pair of running shoes?  I mean, aren't shoes the first thing you take off and the last thing you put on, at least in most scenarios?  Even if there was some odd situation that would leave you just wearing your shoes and nothing else, what would cause you to decide to initiate a phone conversation on a public phone while in this state?  And what's more, this woman had no little notebook stashed anywhere so I don't know where she was taking her notes on the spelling of the name or the destinations desired by who I assume was a client on the other end.  The whole scene made me think that there must have been a candid camera crew around the corner.

I got home for dinner and told my boys about my odd sighting in the lockerroom.  Now, they are not so comfortable about talking with their mom about nakedness, but none of us could stop laughing over this women in her running shoes, doing a little business from the basement of the Y. 

No comments: