Friday, November 16, 2012

Car trip redux

Soon we are going to load up our car and head out to Florida to visit my parents.  My mom just called and was trying to tell me which towns to stop in to get the best gas prices. Between Minnesota and Florida. She's got it all mapped out.  I fear I did not listen.

I just got enough books on tape from the local library to get us to the southern tip of Mexico, so if we get nervous about spending a week with my parents, we can just veer a little west and keep on driving.  

Our impending departure reminds me of a line from Eli on our drive home from Boston this summer.  We made the error of buying him a new watch for his birthday in Boston, on our way out of town.  It had many functions, including 3 alarms and a stop watch with a 100 lap memory.  Eli busied himself for the first several hours setting his alarms for various points in the very near future and then delighting in silencing them.  After awhile he turned his attention to his new 'multi-tool'.  I was a little nervous about what would happen if we had to make a sudden stop as he was flashing quite a few blades in the back seat.

Anyway, at one point, Jon and I had been talking and I wanted to share something with the boys. They were in the back seat, trying to get the best angle on their ipod screens by hooking up improvised sun shades.  When I looked back, I noticed that Eli had his head and arms inside a pillow case to get the best view of his screen.  I said, "Guys, did you hear what Dad just said," at which point Eli interrupted from inside his pillow case and said, "DID I HEAR WHAT DAD JUST SAID????? Of course I did.  I'm right here.  Right behind you! I've been sitting behind you in this car for (quick consult of the new watch) 10 hours, 13 minutes and 53 seconds! I've heard everything everyone in this car has said for the past 10 hours, 13 minutes, and 53 seconds! Of course I heard what Dad just said!!!".  Oh.  Ok then.

Can't wait for this new road trip to get under way!

No comments: