Monday, November 26, 2012

Paddle boarding with manta rays

One of the highlights of our recent trip to Florida was of course spending time with my parents.  And a lovely Thanksgiving dinner that was many many many steps up from the last Thanksgiving I shared with them in Florida, which featured Ramen noodles and a frozen pizza. 

I also enjoyed the day we rented paddle boards.  I was worried that my raw skin from the recent bike accident would keep me grounded for the day, but we wrapped me up in some very expensive bandages that looked and worked much like saran wrap.  And I was able to keep upright on the board, so never had to test the waterproof nature of the goods.  Jean and I headed out on the boards and made it all the way down to the jetty.  On the way there we saw a fish or two, but nothing much.  At the jetty we took a seat on the boards to rest (our feet were sore from working so hard to keep us balanced- who knew there were so many feet muscles and that they could get so fatigued!) and were entertained by small schools of beautiful fish.  On the way back I cruised right over a mini jelly fish, which got me quite excited- they are oddly beautiful- and nervous that I would fall on it and get all stung up.  But I stayed upright.  We paddled back without incident. 

Jon and Theo headed out next.  While they were down the beach looking the other way, some dolphins happened by.  Jean ran down to make sure they saw them and ended up paddling Theo out to get a closer view.  Theo lying on the front of the board while my mom paddled him toward dolphins was quite a lovely site- the two of them so engaged in their quest.  They got quite close.  I got jealous.  I love watching dolphins and squealed loudly and touristically every time they went by my parents' condo. 

Once the dophins swam off, Theo and Jon turned the boards over to Eli and my dad.  I won't say much about how it went for my dad.  I think he was nervous about see-sickness, so he threw in the towel pretty quickly.  This gave me the opportunity to head out and accompany Eli.  We didn't encounter dolphins, but we did paddle right above a small herd of manta rays.  I'm sure it's herds they travel in.  There were four, and they seemed quite intrigued by us.  They did not dart away, but came closer, went under us, circled.  The whole time I was nervous about falling on them, and was hoping my mom's assertion that these were not the stinging kind was true.  Never can tell with her as she doesn't believe in citing sources.  Ever.  But we didn't fall- we just watched from above as these graceful creatures glided around below us.  Quite lovely.

No comments: