Sunday, January 27, 2013

Finding alternatives

The winter of 2011-12 was a total bust for skiing.  Hence my excitement with this winter started out with a huge dump of snow timed perfectly for my enjoyment- right before the winter break at school.  And enjoy it we did.  I think over the two week break I was out on my skis about 14 times.  Loved every minute of it.  Then is warmed up, melted, rained, and finally refroze in a brutal cold snap.  But what was there to refreeze was the brownest, iciest, mess I can imagine.  Ugly.  Unskiable.  Awful.  So I turned to other alternatives- the Y with great pals.  Work mornings start off with an early morning tabata routine with three others.  My off days include either a bike in the basement, or lifting with a friend.  Feels good.  And I love the company.  I'd love to mix in a ski or two, however.  Right now as I type the snow is coming down.  It was forecast as rain, so this is a pleasant surprise.  I am cynical about winter however and don't trust this.

I think the main reason I'm frustrated with our snow cover is that I talked 7 other families into joining us for a xc ski weekend up at DuNord.  They have been bone dry this winter as well.  Here's hoping that the trails get some snow cover in the next few weeks.  Although, at least up there, if we are snowless, we are in a beautiful location, either white or brown.  There is nothing uglier than these twin cities covered in dirty ice.  Just hoping the 31 others joining me think so too....


No comments: