Monday, January 7, 2013

Pot Shots to my dignity

Over the weekend, Theo and I were having some nice down time, relaxing on the couch while no one else was home.  Just chatting and reading.  At one point he was laying down, looking up at me.  In adoration.  And then.  "Mom, your eyelids are droopy.  Like Grandpas.  But don't worry.  If you ever need a second career, you could be a zombie in a movie.  You've got the look."  Then a little more about how zombie movies are big right now and it will be easy to find work.

I decided I still loved him.  But then..."Mom, you have thick nose hairs.  Makes you look like you have a man nose."  

At that point I rolled him right off the couch.

Today, my dignity took further abuse, but not at the hands of my youngest.  Today I got to go get my new crown put in, the last in a series of dental appointments after my bike accident in November.  Only, once the dentist put it in (and luckily before cementing it) she and her assistant had a long discussion about the fact that it was too white for my yellow teeth.  So they took it back out, put it in a little padded box, and sent me on my way to the lab.  Where I got to have two more women assess the yellow factor of my teeth.  And then I got to hold my lips open wide while one of them painted my crown more yellow. Then they took it out and baked the yellow on in their special little crown baker.  Then back to the dentist where everyone agreed the yellow was much closer to my natural color.  

I think I'd rather have spent the day on the couch with Theo looking up at me and making editorial comments about my nose hairs.  At least I can shove him off the couch when I've had too much.  Don't think the dentist would take that so well.

No comments: