Monday, January 13, 2014

Urban ski


I hit the lottery today: A day off, no appointments or meetings, 28 degrees, and sun.  I was a littel nervous about skiing due to the grand meltdown we had yesterday when it hit 45, but thought I'd venture over to the lakes to check it out.  It was indeed a little icy, but on skate skis I did ok.  And at one point I intersected with the groomers, who were making the skate trails just beautiful.  I parked right off of Lake of the Isles, skied around Isles, through the channel to Cedar, and through this little tunnel over to Brownie.  I contemplated heading up over the highway overpass and into the quaking bog area as the groomers had just come from there and it looked lovely, but I was running out of gas and my car seemed a long way away.  So I just skied around Brownie and headed back through the chain of lakes.  I love that in the middle of the cities I can ski this far without having to cross any roads- although at one point a train did cross my path- luckily for me I got to sneak through a little tunnel while the train was thundering overhead.  The sun was fabulous- clearly others were enjoying the relatively mild temperatures after the deep freeze, as other skiers passed by with idiotic grins on their faces.  And out in the middle of Isles was a lone person- not on skis- dressed in a big coat and boots.  I don't know if the person was listening to any music, but he or she was certainly feeling it.  I like to think it was a thank-you dance to the weather gods, because today was a peach of a day.  

View photo.JPG in slide show

No comments: