Monday, January 13, 2014

Warming my heart with a touchy toaster-oven

Entering week twelve over here without access to my kitchen.  Granted, for 6 of the weeks we stayed at my parents and used thier kitchen- but it's not the same.  I guess if anything has been clarified by this process its that I love to have my kitchen handy.  I'm not any kind of great cook, but I do like to get in there and make things.  Particularly things in the oven on cold days.  Bread, muffins, scones...love them all.

We borrowed a toaster oven from Kirk and Kelly.  It has worked to heat up a frozen pizza or warm up other already cooked items.  But it's touchy- I'm never sure if it's going to work or not. But this weekend I had a cup of cream that had to be used and went out on a limb to make some scones.  The problem was that in the process of making them I start anticipating pretty seriously- so if it didn't work, it was going to be a bitter disappointment.  Luckily, the little toaster oven came through.  It was just the step towards normalcy that I needed as progress on the remodel seems to stall.  The smell, the taste- brought me to a happy place.

No comments: