Saturday, November 29, 2014

Fall 2014

At first I thought this fall was going to be a bummer.  The color change seemed to get off to a slow, dull, start. But then the temperatures must have hit the prime color zone and things got wild around here.  I know that I have a habit of exclaiming about the beauty of my home town, but this fall things got a little ridiculous.  And throughout October, the weather collaborated, making it a perfect month for bike commuting.  My route changed daily- I turned corners and ventured down streets and alleys if I spotted a tree worth biking by.  There were a lot of them.  Some corners were positively Dr. Suessian in their glory.  There was one corner in Tangletown that combined a deliciously bright blue house, with the fabulous green lawn and red, yellow, and orange trees- all of them hitting peak at the same time.  It was truly out of this world.  I really felt bad for all of the people who don't live in climates that include seasonal change.  And then all the trees lost all their leaves, November came in cold and gray and icy, and I didn't feel quite as bad about those others anymore.  But I feel like our October was like getting an advance of some sort- we should have known this November was coming.  Despite the artic chill descending so early this year, I still think October was worth it.

No comments: