Saturday, November 29, 2014

He Writes

In late August Eli started writing a novel.  He is extremely dedicated.  I think he puts 2-4 hours in a day.  Every day.  And the beautiful thing is that he has shared his novel with me through google drive.  Whenever I have some spare time, I open it up and can make editing suggestions and comments.  Within 24 hours he makes my suggested changes, or he doesn't, and he responds to my questions/comments.  It's a lovely discourse, even if it's not happening in real time.  The fact that he considers my suggestions warms my English teacher heart.
He is now officially to the end of the story, 110,000 words after starting.  It is a great read, even if it is not my favorite genre.  Now he's back into it, editing.  Turns out that his writing style improved over the course of 3 months of intense writing and he has to go back to the start and tighten the first chapters up.  This could become a never ending cycle.  But I am happy to be along for the ride.

No comments: