Saturday, July 11, 2009

Heading out

We are on the eve of a departure for a little trip down the Namekagon with Becky D and her son Sam. Jon is not joining us. It's not that he wasn't invited, exactly....but it was pitched as a mother/son outing and if he wanted to come along he was free to do so. For some reason he has decided to sit out. He is in the throes of training for a half Ironman (he prefers to call it a 70.3 and when you are moving your body under your own power for 70.3 miles in one outing, then I see why you wouldn't want it called a HALF anything) and sitting on his rear in a tin canoe soaking up the rays for four days is probably not a highly rated training regimen.

Anyway- the boys and I have been gathering up our goods for the last few days and at one point I introduced them to the single most important piece of canoe tripping equipment- the bandana. When they gave me skeptical looks I listed off a few uses. They came around. Wanted one for their very own. Now. So the next time we were out and about we found some and they grabbed one each. They brought them home and compared them to my old ones and I am happy to report, found that their new stiff ones did not measure up...yet. I told them that of course a good bandana had to be broken in, so they honestly spent the next several hours wetting them down, wringing them out, running around the house holding them aloft to dry them....over and over and over again. I admired their dedication. They are starting to get a little supple. The bandanas- not the boys. There is more work to be done and they are eager to do it. I am sure they will come back from our escapade with true canoer's bandanas- and they will deserve them. Becky and I are bringing two canoes so these guys are going to have to spend a lot of time in the bow getting us to where we need to be. Wish us luck!

No comments: