Thursday, July 2, 2009

Little laughs

As we were trying to get the kids into bed tonight we realized that we had failed to pick up a refill of one of the FIVE drugs Theo is currently taking for his asthma (see below). I decided that even though I did not feel like walking down to Walgreens right then, I felt even less enthusiastic about dragging the freshly laundered sheets up from the basement and making the beds. So I headed out down Brimhall with a touch of a bad attitude. But then I got to the old Walgreens pharmacy counter and said that I was there to pick up a prescription for Theo Sage-Martinson. The pharmicist could not see the hyphen in the name when I said it aloud (quite surprisingly, that happens often), so looked at me blankly and asked, "And which one of those would happen to be his last name?" I told him it was two of them, Sage and Martinson. He grabbed the drugs and as he was scanning them said, "You know, that's a pretty cool name, it means the wise son of Martin." I said, "I know, good thing too, because the other sons of Martin are complete dumbshits." And he guffawed. Which made me smile. Now you out there who might count yourselves among the other Sons of Martin, I apologize. I didn't mean it. The guy just set me up and the comment slipped out, surprising both of us.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

No offense taken, as I guffawed as well (besides, I know what everyone's grades were in school....) Nice rejoinder, but oooh the language - you might get in trouble with your mother -- kirk regular martin-son