Friday, January 30, 2009

The flagpole

Two kids in Eli's class were in charge of putting up the flag yesterday. It was cold. Really cold. And somehow an evil temptress got a hold of these kids as they were busy at their duty. No, they did not let the flag touch the ground, nope, they did something much worse- they stuck out their tongues and attempted to lick the pole. Of course they got stuck. From Eli's reports they did not receive outside help in removing themselves but had to just yank themselves free. Then returned to the class, tails between their legs. The teacher, in her ultimate wisdom, asked them if they would please stand before the rest of the crew and show everyone the damage done. I think that the rest of the class will be forever spared a similar fate.

When Eli reported this incident to me I did ask, "Now Eli, tell me, if ALL of your friends were to lick the flagpole, would you do it too?" He immedaitely assured me that he wouldn't, then asked how I thought all his friends could ever lick a flagpole at once? That little mental image has kept me smiling all day.

No comments: