Thursday, January 22, 2009

Hope

I spent my 40th birthday rather choked up. It wasn't about fear of getting older, although I do admit that I woke up more stressed about that than I would have guessed. It was the inaugral stuff. I watched just enough TV to get filled up with hope. Then I walked away. Walked down to Expo where all 700 kids were piling out of the doors, waving little flags that they had made themselves, and attempting to line up in some semblance of order. Two retirees pulled out trumpets and we all proceeded to belt out the Star Spangled Banner. When I ran into other parents they gave spontaneous hugs- and I knew where they were coming from. And then we set off, 700+ flag waving, ridiculously pumped up Americans. Cars honked, people in local businesses smiled. It was a perfect way to spend my birthday.

And then today, two days later, Theo stopped me on the hallway stairs as I was running up to grab some laundry and he was running down on some task of his own. Stopped me by putting his two little hands on my shoulders as I stood below him on the stairs and looking me in the eye. And he says, "You know Mom, today I figured out why I'm here. It's to help others. It's not just to be alive." And off he went. I stood on the stairs in the dark, my heart bursting with the miracle that put these boys into my life. I really do think this realization of Theo's came from listening to Obama and hearing his message about reaching out, helping others, and being bigger people. yeswecan.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy belated Birthday. I really enjoy your blog. Your writing is brilliant.