Thursday, January 22, 2009

The fog is lifting?

Theo has been in the dumps for a while- really since school started up again in January. I think a major part of his issue was that he was so sick at the start of the break and then didn't eat well for about a month. This non-eating corresponded with growth spurt number 985, so the kid just did not have any resources. The negativity was most apparent in the morning, with many bad vibes aimed right at school. There were many things wrong with school in Theo's mind. Some fabricated, some legit. Anyway- on Tuesday I walked them down and as I was standing out by the busses watching Theo walk in with his slumped shoulders and defeated attitude (for the record, I am 97% sure that he perks up as soon as he is out of my eyesight) and my heart breaking into pieces, the principal sidled up and asked me how things were going. I told him that Theo was pretty dang grumpy about going to school and it made mornings hard. He said he'd make sure to check in with him. I thought, sure, you have a school of 700 kids, you have a crazy all school inaugural parade happening today, and you're going to remember to check in with Theo today???? Theo didn't say anything that afternoon and I didn't bring it up. But today, Thursday, Theo came bounding down the sidewalk from school with a huge smile. He chatted me up about several things and then told me, kind of bursting with pride, that the principal had called him into his office and asked him about school. Sounds like Darren (principal Yerama to some) told him straight up that he had heard that Theo was a class A grump in the morning. After he and Theo talked a little, Darren apparently told Theo that he'd check in with his teacher about making Theo's homework harder. Theo was thrilled. Thrilled. We'll see if any more action actually comes out of this, but I think the medicine has already been taken! There's no need for more.

No comments: