Friday, January 30, 2009

Loving winter

I always love winter so much more after I have been out in it. Last night as we rushed from the house to the car to the theater I was scrunched over trying to duck that bitter wind. I was a serious hater right then. But then today the sun came out and I had the afternoon off and I grabbed my skies and rushed over to Como Park. I have already pointed out that this park was clearly one of the influences in Richard Scarry's early work. Clearly. It's not just the Busytown aspect that I love- there is something that makes my heart feel bigger while I am there. It could be the excess blood that is pumping through it as I toil up the hills. Today was one of those days that can not be beat- sun, the right wax, good tracks, and just enough of a snap in the air to keep you invigorated. I just wish those two guys hadn't been looking as I went to blow my nose (cowboy style??) -got my pole between my legs and fell flat on my face. Then, while getting up tangled my arm in my headphones and nearly fell again. All at the very feet of two strapping young men who were taking a little break. Honestly, right before I came around that corner I had been flying. Gracefully. dang. Despite that little slip, I drove home in love with winter, in love with Como, in love with St. Paul. That park is a little urban jewel. And tonight we are heading down to Rice Park to check out the winter carnival ice sculptures. We did a drive by last night and the glow of the thousand lights, the sparkle of the sculptures, the hearty souls out snapping pictures, they began melting my icy attitude toward winter that I had been cultivating lately. My ski today thawed it completely. It makes me almost wish that February wasn't on the horizon. Almost.

No comments: